image of Newburn Surgery Newburn Surgery image of Newburn Surgery
HOME What's new Information Services Staff Quality Links Contact
Practice information Registration Privacy Practice history Practice Location Practice Premises

Practice history

The practice has been a surgery for over 90 years. Constructed around 1895 after the land was bought from Earl Percy by John Spencer and Sons, the building was originally occupied by works foremen. Thomas C Innes, surgeon, is first recorded in 1913, living in 33 Warkworth Crescent. He acquired 4 Newburn Road in 1924 and added a surgery, waiting room and garage where Dr. Adam's and Dr. Scott's consulting rooms are now. The doctor lived in the house. The door to the waiting room opened onto the back lane and patients would queue outside.

Later the practice was a branch surgery of the Wylam practice. Dr. Scott joined the Wylam practice in 1981 with a view to taking over the Newburn surgery on Dr. Telfer's retirement. Dr. Scott acquired the premises in 1983. The building was substantially improved and extended in 1984.

Dr. Adams came to the practice in 1984. The Drs Hargreaves joined in 1995, initially working as a job share. The team was completed in 1999 with the arrival of Dr. Firstbrook. Dr Kate Hargreaves moved on to study art at Newcastle University in 2004 and Dr Mattinson joined the practice. Dr. Lorna Carter joined the practice in 2014, taking over from Dr. Firstbrook.  In 2016 Dr Adams retired and was replaced by Dr Gupta.

The practice was one of the early users of computers. The program for the original computer was written by Dr. Scott's father for a machine with 128 kB of memory costing £3500.

Updated Dec 2017